Will I have to pay tax on my late husbands RAF claim pay-out?

Been says:
22 May 2016 at 12:05

My husband was killed in a motorbike accident by a drunk driver. I am awaiting a settlement from the Road Accident Fund and I have a few questions please. 1. Will I be taxed on the amount paid out to me for my kids and I
2a. Will the fund deduct the amount before the payout?
2b. Or must I pay it afterwards and how does that work?
3. How much is the tax? I was 26 when he was killed, and my kids 3years and 8 months respectively... I am scared the government made me wait all this time for my money and now they want half of it!

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
22 May 2016 at 22:00

I am sorry to hear of your loss. RAF payments are not taxable as they are seen to be insurance similar to a life policy.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.