VAT registration?

I have just started a small business. What must my turnover be to register for VAT. Currently I am paying VAT on my purchases but not charging VAT on my sales.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
19 June 2013 at 18:13

You can voluntarily register for VAT if you have invoices over R50 000 or you would need to register for VAT if your turnover is or is expected to exceed R1 000 000.

Maria says:
19 June 2013 at 18:35

Would this be invoices/turnover per month or per annum?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
19 June 2013 at 21:41

The turnover figure is for the year and the invoices threshold of R50 000 is as a total. The differences are that the R50 000 is voluntary and the R1 000 000 is mandatory.

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.