Tax confusion?

I am graduate and currently unemployed full-time. I write for a small company. I get R700 a month for writing promos. Now thing is when I get deposit alerts from FNB, they show that R525 has been deposited,I want to know can bank charges for R700 be up to R180 or is there some taxing going on. I don't have a SARS number either. What's going on?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
4 May 2013 at 13:57

The R175 that is being taken off is for PAYE (Pay-As-You-Earn) which needs to be deducted from your earnings each month. The company that you write for in not aware that you do not earn any other income and has a duty to deduct this tax and pay it over to SARS. You can apply for a Tax Directive with SARS to have them not deduct any amounts. Otherwise at the end of the tax year they will send you an IRP5 for which you will use to submit a tax return and the PAYE will be refunded to you because you don't earn enough to actually be paying tax.

You can register for a tax number by following this easy guide - Registration Guide

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.