Tax clearance certificate for emigration

Meganschwegmann says:
16 May 2016 at 13:15

I am joining my husband in the UK shortly and want to know if I will need a Tax Clearance certificate from SARS in order to leave the country on a one way ticket through my spousal settlement visa. We have no assets in South Africa and I was under the threshold regarding income tax (tax was paid by my employer and I never submitted a tax tax return). We may be coming back to South Africa at a later stage and do not want to give up residency.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
16 May 2016 at 18:22

No you will not need a tax clearance certificate to leave South Africa, this is only when you want to take all your assets or money out of the country upon exit.

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.