Is my overseas earning exempt from tax?

I was working in USA from October 2012 to May 2013 (without coming back home)
I paid Fed and State tax in USA over the period.
So for the 2013/2014 individual tax year.
I was out the country for more than 60 days in one go but not more than 183 in this particular tax year.
Questions are:
1. Are my earnings overseas exempt? or if not
2. Will I include the earnings and get a taxable deduction for foreign taxes paid?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
23 January 2014 at 16:26

Were you only outside of SA for that period?

Jake says:
23 January 2014 at 20:48

I was in Zambia for 4 months on and off.
Total of around 80 days from August to December.
And in Mozambique for a further 10 days.

Jake says:
24 January 2014 at 9:45

From the 28 Feb 2013 - today I have been out the country for a total of 159 days.

But from the 3/11/2012 I have been out of the country for 277 days.

Is there any advantage here?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
24 January 2014 at 21:48

The act speaks of being out of SA for a calender year for which 183 days must be included in there and 60 days of them were continuous. Therefore if from 1/11/2012 you were outside of SA longer than 183 days and part of that period is the period you worked then yes the income earned will be exempt.

TaxTim is FREE for all Momentum & Multiply members.

Use your ID number at the payment step to claim your free TaxTim voucher

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Get started FREE

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.