Switch to TaxTim and WIN R10,000  T&C's apply
How do you currently do your tax?
SARS eFiling Tax Practitioner Auto-assessment New to tax

Is medical aid contributions paid in full by employees tax refundable

Cattigan says:
22 February 2016 at 17:41

I was the principle member of my Bonitas medical aid and was paying R2,076 of the total premium of R5,788. My company paid the difference. Now I resigned and my husband applied to be the principle member through his company but they deducted the full premium. Will he be able to get some of these premiums back when he fills in his tax return at the end of the tax year.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
23 February 2016 at 10:01

Yes, he would complete the Medical Aid section of the tax return and input all the details per the Medical Aid tax certificate. He would then be eligible to receive a medical aid credit based on the contributions, number of dependents, qualifying expenditure etc

Read our blog on Where to get Medical Scheme Tax Certificate

Please also Register for TaxTim and let us assist you to complete and submit your tax return to ensure you fill it in correctly.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.