Is a person who has asthma classified as disabled for tax purposes?

My son has asthma can I claim as a disabled benefit for medical purposes when submitting my tax return?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
10 February 2013 at 22:33

SARS defines disability as such:
The term "disability" is defined in section 18(3) of the Act as follows -
"disability" means a moderate to severe limitation of a person's ability to function or perform daily activities as a result of a physical, sensory, communication, intellectual or mental impairment, if the limitation-
(a) has lasted or has a prognosis of lasting more than a year; and
(b) is diagnosed by a duly registered medical practitioner in accordance with criteria prescribed by the Commissioner.

If your son's asthma is so severe that he meets that definition and the doctor has issued a notice of this then you would be able to claim for disability expenses related to the asthma.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.