I want to find out if we can claim expense from winding up an estate & bond transfer costs from SARS

My wife passed away last year and the estate has now been wound by Old mutual Trust. The fees that I paid was -R52 000-00. OMT gave me a statement which I was said to keep for tax purposes. Can any cost be recovered from SARS? Our Property was on both our names. The property was transferred to my name and the bond was paid up. Can the transfer cost be recovered from SARS?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
1 July 2013 at 22:30

Estate costs can get deducted against the value of the estate which will reduce any estate duties owing once the final value of the estate is calculated. Transfer duties are a final tax and does not affect your income tax.

TaxTim is FREE for all Momentum & Multiply members.

Use your ID number at the payment step to claim your free TaxTim voucher

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Get started FREE

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.