I am registered as a taxpayer, but lost my job. Must I inform Sars?

I was employed and earned enough to pay tax(PAYE), but in the beginning of this year I lost my job and I am now unemployed.

At this current moment I am studying again but I don't know? If I receive any money like pocket money am I still required to pay PAYE? Because I don't work, I am just studying and want to know what must I do to avoid the penalties and fines from SARS.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
21 April 2013 at 22:36

Pocket money and similar received from parents or family members will not be taxed nor subject to PAYE so you don't have to worry. However to avoid penalties for non-submission of tax returns you could file a zero return by clicking on the button on your return saying you were unemployed for the full year.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.