How do I register for tax after employer's bookkeeper told me I can't and that she must register me!

I started working for a company 4 years ago,and last year only became an employee,as previously I was a contractor.

Last year they started deducting tax,and when we had a meeting about it,I asked the bookkeeper for my tax number as I have no idea how tax work,and she yelled at me and said I am not allowed to register, especially not for eFiling, as she is the only one that can do this and she is in the process.
I then got my IRP5 form with my tax paid,and then heard I should've registered my self for tax. So now I'm afraid of the potential fines I will, have to pay. Apparently as a contractor I should've been registered for tax,which I wasn't, so now I am really worried, as I had no idea and got messed around by the ex bookkeeper. What should I do now as I want to register tomorrow?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
1 October 2012 at 8:07

Your bookkeeper had no right to demand that you could not register yourself as a taxpayer. Firstly on your IRP5, is there a tax number or is that left out as blank. The second thing I suggest is to phone the SARS call centre on 0800 00 7277 and find out what your tax number is. If you have been registered then they will have your number. Do that and afterwards I will guide you through the process. Don't be worried, that is what we are here for, we will help you through this mess.

Let me know about your tax number.

Aenism says:
1 October 2012 at 10:16

Hi there Tim. I phoned the SARS number to check if the number on my IRP5 is my tax number just to tell me that they put someone elses income tax reference number on my IRP5! I have a very spitefull "employer", so this might take a while to sort out or I might find out that I might not be registered at all! Any advice?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
1 October 2012 at 11:46

Firstly that is rather shocking of your employer and something you must look into. I don't know if it a genuine mistake or if they are trying hide something?

The first thing you should do is to phone SARS again and find out what your actual tax number is? Then once you have that you can register on eFiling yourself on - go onto the TaxTim site and you will see guidance on how to do this. Once you have done that let me know and we can guide you from there.

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.