How do I know if I am registered for income tax?

I have only been employed on a permanent basis for the last year or so, and have recently changed companies. I did not have a tax number before beginning work for my old company, but saw on all my payslips that tax was being deducted as well as UIF. I take this to mean that the company registered me for income tax, and that I can continue to use this tax number at my new company and for all income tax in the future?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
21 February 2013 at 16:06

First step is to call 0800 00 7277 and find out if you have a tax number - this would be a 10 digit reference number. If it is your number then you can continue to use this wherever you go work.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.