How do I get a tax rerence number for a deceased individual?

I am looking for a tax reference number for my late mother as places like Sanlam require it. How do I go about finding it?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
2 November 2012 at 15:56

You would need to phone SARS on 0800 00 7277 with all your mother's details and ask them to give you her tax number. They may even require you to go into a branch and show her death certificate, but try the call centre first as they should be able to assist.

Dita says:
2 November 2012 at 16:13


TaxTim TaxTim says:
2 November 2012 at 16:27

Only a pleasure!

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.