Do your tax with TaxTim and WIN R10,000  T&C's apply
How do you currently do your tax?
SARS eFiling Tax Practitioner Auto-assessment New to tax

Deduction of finance charges from rental income.

Banker says:
8 February 2016 at 14:56

I have a question relating to rental income from investment property in my personal name. Very simple put, I have R 1000 000 available on my primary residence bond - I would like to utilize this to acquire a rent producing flat. Will I be able to deduct the finance charges incurred on the R 1000 000 from the rental income to reduce my taxable rental income?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
9 February 2016 at 21:00

It will be difficult to link the financing (on your primary residence) to the investment property and it may be confusing for SARS should they decide to audit you, which seems to be happening more and more often lately.
It would be better to take out a separate new bond specifically linked to your investment property.

Please read our blog too on Rental property deductions

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.