Hide
Earn under R350,000? Click here to see why you still need to file to get your Tax Refund.
CLOSE
Get SARS Tax Dates and Deadlines in your Inbox
 

We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.
Try Tim Now

Can I deduct salaries paid to my helpers from my sole proprietor income?

Posted 8 August 2016 under Tax Q&A


Let TaxTim
help you
submit your
Tax returns!



TaxTim will help you:
  • Do Your Tax Return Easily
  • Avoid penalties
  • Maximise your refund
Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories


Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →
Jade says:
6 August 2016 at 10:41

I am "unemployed" but make money with blogging. I have 5 bloggers/writers who help me but are not formally employed by me. I pay them every month. If I earned R150,000 and paid them all 40% of my earnings, would I then only be taxed on the remaining 60% I keep? Am I considered a sole proprietor and am I responsible for formally hiring them? The money I make is earned via an overseas source, not South African.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
8 August 2016 at 9:43

You are regarded as a sole proprietor, if you require your helpers to come into the office to work a 40 hour week then you are expected to take them on as employees on your books and register them for UIF and PAYE (employees tax).
If you only contact them when you need a blog written, they are regarded as freelancers and are responsible to deduct their own tax and pay it over to SARS.


Get SARS Tax Dates and Deadlines in your Inbox
 

We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.

Blog Categories


Let TaxTim
help you
submit your
Tax returns!



TaxTim will help you:
  • Do Your Tax Return Easily
  • Avoid penalties
  • Maximise your refund
Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started