During the tax year, SARS issued SMS's to taxpayer whom they chose to auto-assess.
Those selected individuals would typically be taxpayers earning fixed salaries without additional allowances. If they did have medical aid and retirement annuity fund contributions, these details would have already been sent to SARS by their service providers, and SARS should have automatically included them in the assessment.
We've received many questions on our help desk where users say that they received an SMS from SARS notifying them that they were auto-assessed. Even though the SMS was helpful, users had no way of reviewing the actual assessment to see the income and deductions that SARS included or excluded.
Good news – you don't need to sign up for an eFiling profile if your tax file is already linked to your tax practitioner. And if you're already on eFiling but forgot your login details, you do not have to call the SARS call centre and be caller number 1001 in the queue!
Instead, you can simply check your auto-assessment on the SARS website. We've compiled an easy step-by-step guide to help you through the process:
1. Go to the SARS website, www.sars.gov.za then in the top ribbon, click on "Contact Us"
2. Scroll down and click on "My Auto Assessment Status"
3. Enter all your personal details in the relevant fields. If you do not have your tax reference number, you can go to What's My Tax Number to access it. Once you have completed the form, click on "Continue".
4. Enter the system generated securty Captcha, then scroll down and click on "SUBMIT"
5. Select which channel you would like to receive the auto assessment.
6. The Query Successful message should then pop up. Please do not close the screen until you see the below message, as the request might have been unsuccessful on the SARS backend.
SARS should reply to you, via the medium you requested in the previous step, with an outcome to your query.