What to do with following expences whilst renting out student accommodation (commune)?

Part of Personal income.
1. Do I enter bond payments for the property anywhere?
2. What about security payments to Chubb?
3. What about Furniture & appliances - all rooms are furnished.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
3 June 2013 at 10:18

1. Only the interest from the bond payments can be deducted as an expenses against the income earned from the rent.
2. Security payments/expenses will be allowed to be claimed as a deduction.
3. The furniture can be deducted using the wear and tear depreciation methods as the cost is related to earning income from the rental.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.