What happens if you do not pay tax?

My previous employer said that I do not earn enough to pay tax, I have just recently found out that even if you do not pay tax there are some administration fees that have to be paid in. I never knew this so will there be any penalties that I have to pay and will I get into any trouble with SARS for not paying the administration fees.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
21 January 2013 at 9:27

Can you tell me what administration fees your employer was refering to?

Finkies says:
21 January 2013 at 9:34

I read about the administration fees on the SARS's website where it says that you don't have to submit an ITR12 Tax return when you earn below R160 000 per year, that's why I wanted to know about the administration fees because I think that my employer would have told me about that so that I don't get into a trouble with SARS.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
21 January 2013 at 14:29

I am not sure what administration fees the site mentioned, but if you do not need to submit a tax return because you aren't required to then you need not worry about administration fees. You do need to submit a return if you are earning more than R120 000 or receive income/have deductions from other sources other than just your job.

Administration fees are only issued if you do not submit a return when you are required to.

Finkies says:
21 January 2013 at 14:35

Thank you that's a relief, because I don't know what I would have done if I owed SARS money. Thank you for clearifying that for me.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
21 January 2013 at 14:41

Glad I could help!

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.