Do your tax with TaxTim and WIN R10,000  T&C's apply
How do you currently do your tax?
SARS eFiling Tax Practitioner Auto-assessment New to tax

What form must I file with SARS, an ITR12 or an IRP6 ?

I bought an appartment in April 2012 and rent it out. My total income (April 12 to Feb 2013) is R46,000 and my expenses (interest, levies, etc) are R41,000. Total income :R5,000 I haven`t registered myself as a provisional taxpayer. So what should I do for the 2013 Tax return ?
Should I reflected those number on my IRT12 ? or should I register myself on IRP6 ? or should I do both ?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
22 March 2013 at 16:05

If you are earning taxable income or in your case profit of less than R20 000 per annum, then you do not need to register as a provisional taxpayer and can submit based on your ITR12.

Anne says:
25 March 2013 at 8:52

So it means that I will declare on my ITR12 my salary of /- R200K AND my rental income (under other incomes) of /- R5K.
When should I register asa provisionnal taxpayer ?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
25 March 2013 at 10:18

You would only need to register as a provsional taxpayer when or if you think that the taxable income or profit from the rental property exceeds R20 000 per annum. Once that happens you will need to register which you can do on your eFiling profile.

click here

Anne says:
25 March 2013 at 10:47

The registration should be done ahead of the taxable year that I think I will reach the R20,000 income ?
I believe it would be for the 2014 season. So should I register in Aug 2013 or Feb 2014 ?
What happen if I register as a provisonal taxpayer, but at the end of the taxyear I haven`t reached the R20,000. Will I pay penalities for over-estimate my income ?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
26 March 2013 at 10:00

You should register now and then submit a provisional tax return IRP6 in August 2013 for the 2014 year. You won't suffer penalties for not meeting that R20 000 threshold.

Anne says:
26 March 2013 at 10:08

One last question: my husband and I are married in community of property and consequently are co-owner of the mentioned apartment.
We will each submit the "other income" full amount on our respective ITR12.

In August 2013, should we both register in IRP6, and submit a rental income of R20,000? Or should we divide by two the threshold amount?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
27 March 2013 at 8:52

The rental income from the property must be divided between the two of you, so perhaps you won't even reach the threshold for provisional tax.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.