FAQ Blog Q&A Calculators Students Logbook Contact
17 Days Remaining of Tax Season 2019! Click here to file your tax return with TaxTim now.

Travel claim against commission income /vehicle claims

Posted 6 April 2016 under Tax Q&A

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →
Patricia says:
6 April 2016 at 9:06

Can you claim depreciation as well as finance charges on a travel claim against commission income?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
6 April 2016 at 11:01

Do you receive a travel allowance? Do you keep a logbook?

Patricia says:
6 April 2016 at 12:29

No I don't receive a travelling allowance it's a claim against commission income. I want to know whether you can claim both the finance charges as well as depreciation and I also want to know the calculation

TaxTim TaxTim says:
6 April 2016 at 13:36

As long as the commission makes up more than 50% of your total earnings, then yes you can claim all your travel expenses (including finance charges, depreciation, fuel, etc) You need to apportion your claim so that it relates to business only. You would need to keep a logbook where you record your business kms travelled in order to justify the business % claimed. You would work it out by taking the business kms travelled as a percentage of your total kms travelled.

Get Tax Deadline Reminders, News and Tips

We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.

Blog Categories