Do your Tax with TaxTim and WIN R10,000  More info   T&C's apply

Tax deduction for family donations?

Sam says:
17 June 2016 at 15:01

A) Can I claim a Donation deduction for the following:

1. Son's university fees, paid on his behalf. 2. Monthly donation to my sister. 3. Monthly donation to religious institution / organisation. B) If deductible, what proof is required?


TaxTim TaxTim says:
20 June 2016 at 9:25

The payment of the University fees is a personal expense and therefore would not be deductible. The donation to your sister is also not deductible. How much do you donate on a monthly basis? Please read our blog on Donations Tax to see if it is applicable to you.

The monthly donation to the religious organisation would only be deductible if it is a Public Benefit Organisation and they are able to supply you with a Section 18A tax certificate.

Sam says:
20 June 2016 at 9:36

Thanks for the response.

Monthly donation to 2 sisters are R1000 (R500 each).

Is the R100,000 limit mentioned in your blog applicable to businesses (and not individuals)?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
20 June 2016 at 14:30

The R100 000 is the total amount of donations allowed before tax is levied, by an individual to non s18A PBO's. A business is allowed to claim only R10 000 in donations deductions a year.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.