Do your Tax with TaxTim and WIN R10,000  More info   T&C's apply

SARS says I don't have to submit a tax return because I earn under R350 000

I just got an email from SARS that said unless I earn over R350 000 a year I don't have to submit a tax return this year.

Is this correct? Wasn't the income threshold a LOT lower last year, like R70,000? My income certainly doesn't exceed R350000 per year, but I still want to declare my expenses like medical and get my refund. Must I still submit below the threshold?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
2 July 2014 at 22:40

SARS released a statement saying that anyone who earns income less than R350 000 and has NO deductions or any other income need not submit a tax return.

However, if you have deductions like Medical Expenses, OR if you changed jobs, OR worked for less than 12 months this year then there is a GOOD chance that you are due a tax refund.

We advise you to always be tax compliant as this is important when applying for a bond, home loan, other finance or taking money outside of SA, all of which require a Tax Clearance Certificate.

Costanza says:
3 July 2014 at 10:01

SO you mean to say that if I earned income, and it was below R350 000, and I DIDN'T file a tax return then I would miss out on the tax refund that is due to me, had I filed? So they keep my tax refund essentially? Is this how they are making their revenue targets this year??

AND by not filing I would be ineligible for a bond on a house, or car loan?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
3 July 2014 at 10:04

Only if you are due a refund would you be entitled to one and there are various deductions / scenarios that do / do not result a refund. The only way to know for sure is to file your tax return.

For example, if you worked 10 months of a year, but your PAYE was calculated as if you worked a full year (often the case because nobody knew you were leaving) then you would be due a refund, and if you didn't file then Yes that money would not be returned to you.

By not being tax compliant you would not be issued with a tax clearance certificate from SARS which means when you apply for things like bonds or taking money overseas you would not be successful.

Costanza says:
3 July 2014 at 10:15

Sjoe! All I can say is THANK GOD FOR TAXTIM!

I will be filing my return regardless of what they say - I want my refund.

Thank you so much!!!!

TaxTim TaxTim says:
17 October 2014 at 10:58

Only a pleasure!

To see if you might be due a tax refund, try our Tax Refund Calculator.

To see if your personal situation requires a tax return to be filed, click here.

To file your tax return the quick and easy way, use TaxTim today!

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.