Please can you advise on how to complete medical expenses including disability on 2012 ITR12?

I would really appreciate your advice on completing the medical expenses section on the 2012 ITR12.

We have large amount of both disability expenses and other medical expenses NOT paid by medical aid and am not sure how to complete the Medical Deductions section on the ITR12.
The certificate from the medical aid shows an amount not paid by them - where do I put this amount? Is it code 4020?

Do I need to split the other medical expenses incurred and not paid by the medical aid, into disability and other and show them separately, ie disability 4023 and other added to 4020?
The company my husband works for pays the full amount of medical aid, then the maximum company contribution allowed is deducted and he is taxed on the balance.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
28 January 2013 at 11:39

Regarding your husband's contribution - the tax element will be worked out by SARS after you submit your return so just include the number of dependents and any amounts that your husband personally pays which the company does not pay or on his behalf under source code 4040.

Regarding the other expenses, that is correct. You need to split the expenses between those for impairment/disability and those related to other medical expenses and reflect them separately on the ITR12.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.