Payment of tax liability by a taxpayer on retirement unemployed

At the time I received my tax assessment from SARS for tax year 2011, I was on retirement and unemployed. I have now relocated from South Africa and I am burdened by the thought of my inability to pay the tax liability. Please advise me.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
2 August 2012 at 14:46

If you had a tax liability for 2011 before you left South Africa, you do unfortunately have to pay this amount owed. If you ever want to formally emigrate out of South Africa, you will not be allowed to unless your tax liabilities have been settled.

SARS cannot arrest you for not paying your tax, but there are penalties and interest that does accrue which only increases the amount owed. If you are unable to pay for the amount owed all at once, you can ask SARS to allow you to pay the amount over a period of time. They are open to this if you explain your situation.

TaxTim is FREE for all Momentum & Multiply members.

Use your ID number at the payment step to claim your free TaxTim voucher

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Get started FREE

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.