PAYE threshold and small business TAX, how does it work?

I hope you can help me - my question is two-fold. My wife was working for the 2011/2012 tax period earning R3000-R4500 (as a salary). Do we need to submit a tax return for her? Since June this year she has started her own photography business from home (her only income) - we keep track of all expenses etc. Does she pay tax on the income or on the profit she makes? Does she need to register as a provisional taxpayer (the company is not registered & she trades under her own name)? If so is it a problem that we have not done this yet (and missed the August deadline)? Any help would be much appreciated!

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
17 November 2012 at 12:51

Your wife would only need to pay tax if she earns more than R63 556 in taxable income (profit) per year from the photography business. If she us under the tax threshold you don't need to worry about submitting a tax return for her as she is not making enough to pay tax. Once she exceeds that threshold then she will be liable for tax and you will need to register her for provisional tax as well!

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.