Old Tax Returns

Martine says:
13 September 2019 at 10:54

SARS owes me money from a tax return which I recently submitted with the help of TaxTim. They have come back to say that I need to file my old tax returns from the year 2016 and 2017, but I was not working during those two years and I also never filed any tax returns during those two years. I am not so sure about what should I do now regarding this matter?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
13 September 2019 at 10:58

Kindly note that the 2016 tax year runs from 1 March 2015 to 28 Feb 2016, if you were indeed unemployed during the period, you can complete a nil tax return on SARS eFiling. Please refer to our blog for steps on how to do this:
How to submit a nil tax return
Also, please note that the 2017 tax year runs from 1 March 2016 to 28 Feb 2017. So, if the same answer as the 2016 tax year applies for the 2017 tax year too then you'll need to follow the same steps.

TaxTim is FREE for all Momentum & Multiply members.

Use your ID number at the payment step to claim your free TaxTim voucher

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Get started FREE

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.