My surname has changed, do I need to change it manually?

Posted 21 November 2012 under Tax Q&A
My surname has changed, as I got married. Does it automatically change on my e-filing according to my ID number, or do I need to change it manually? If so, how do I go about that? And is it even necessary to change it on my tax info at all?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
21 November 2012 at 12:06

If you decide to change the information then you can do it on eFiling by either changing your tax return details on the ITR12 or actually going to change the details on your profile, under "Home" and then change details.

If you do this, SARS may require you to drop off proof at a SARS office of this change which would include your new ID copy, marriage certificate and possible proof of address.

Get FREE Help with your Tax Return today from

TaxTim's award-winning tax return services are now free to all Momentum policyholders and Multiply clients:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →