My mom is a pensioner and is dependent on me - can I claim her medical expenses?

Posted 30 July 2012 under Tax Q&A
My mom is a state pensioner and has been living with me for the past 21 years. She does not earn any other salary other than her state pension. Someone mentioned that I can claim back from tax, as I subsidise her income in order for her to be able to "live". She is also on my medical aid. Is this correct and how do you do this?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
25 July 2012 at 17:19

You will be able to include all her medical expenditure, provided you pay for it, as a deduction under the medical aid section in your tax return.

Your medical aid certificate will detail the number of dependents, including your mother, and how much the contributions where. Depending whether or not your employer pays for this or you do privately will determine how you include this in your tax return. If you pay this privately then enter the number of dependents and on the return next to source code 4040 put the amount for total contributions. All other medical expenditure that your medical aid didn't pay for and you personally paid for should be entered next to source code 4020 on the tax return.

Unfortunately you won't be able to claim any other amounts for your mother's care. It does seem harsh, but the government considers the "state pension" to be sufficient for living, which it most definitely isn't.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →