Do your Tax with TaxTim and WIN R10,000  More info   T&C's apply

Independent Contractor versus Personal Service Company

Gregory says:
30 March 2022 at 10:30

I'd like to get some clarity on whether there is a difference between an Independent Contractor and a Personal Service Company?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
30 March 2022 at 22:04

A Personal Service Provider (PSP) refers to a company that offers particular services and in reality, it is the person providing the services who represent the company. Such as an accountant who sets up a company to offer his/her services and is the only director/employee. The PSP is treated as an employee for tax purposes and tax must be withheld at 28% by the client and deductions available to the PSP are very limited (akin to a salaried employee).

An independent contractor is an individual (unlike a PSP which is a company) who offers services to various parties in their personal capacity. Independent contractors are taxed in 3 different ways depending on how they perform their services. Please check out our decision tree: Am I an Independent Contractor? to see the different ways an independent contractor is taxed. (i.e 1. PAYE is withheld just like a salaried employee 2. PAYE is withheld at 25% 3. no PAYE is withheld and the contractor is responsible for their own tax affairs via the provisional payment system).

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.