I need help with an eFiling request for correction?

I moved jobs from one company to another in September 2011, last year when it was time for eFiling I only had the IRP5 form for my current employer. I could not get my previous IRP5 form from my previous employer as the company had been closed. After submission I was asked by SARS to provide supporting documents which I did, as it was my first time submitting, I didn't know that I needed to submit all IRP5 forms for the 12 calender month. My submissions where finalized and I got a penalty fee of about R25k. Since I'm new to the eFiling thing I only realized the pending penalty fee after a received an SMS on 1st May 2013. Today I've managed to contact Alexander Forbes the company which dealt with the now closed company so that I can get my old IRP5 forms. Can I request for correction now that I have all the IRP5 forms even though the Assessment had already been done and I'm due to pay something to SARS?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
3 May 2013 at 15:19

You will need to dispute the penalty which is a different form and state your reasons and then provide this IRP5. Were both IRP5's already on your eFiling or did you have to put in the information?

Nyawater says:
6 May 2013 at 10:09

Both IRP5 forms where not on eFiling, I had to look for them after the assessment had been done and when I saw the figures. I just needed SARS to be lenient with me as it was my first time to do the eFiling and I had previous years I had used an accountant.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
6 May 2013 at 11:45

You can request a correction on eFiling and add the second IRP5 and hopefully this will reverse the amount owing. SARS would have penalised you because you did not include the second IRP5, but they may have known about the income received. The best would be to go into a SARS office and dispute the penalty explaining what has happened and they should be lenient to you. This would be the quickest way of handling this matter unfortunately.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.