How to calculate an asset depreciation calculation?

1. Is it possible to claim for depreciation for individually-purchased PC components? For example, if I purchased a monitor separately, or custom-built a PC (HDD, RAM, CPU, etc.). If so, would I use the "Computers: Personal" asset type when performing the calculations?2. If an asset is used for work non-exclusively, would I simply claim a percentage of the depreciation? For example, if a monitor cost R3000 and the deductable amount was R900 for the tax year, but I used it only 80% of the time for work purposes, could I claim R900 x .8 = R720?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
28 January 2013 at 11:44

1. This would fall under hardware and be depreciated accordingly - so regardless of whether your built it from components or bought it as one asset you can still claim the depreciation. However it must be used solely or at least more than 80% for work purposes.

2. Correct, only the work related portion can be deducted for tax purposes.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
28 January 2013 at 12:26

You would use a 3 year write off period as it would fall under computers - personal!

Glen says:
28 January 2013 at 12:38

Ah okay, I thought you meant that there was a generic "Hardware" asset type.

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
28 January 2013 at 12:51

Always a pleasure!

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.