How do I go about getting a tax number?

I am an SA citizen, and have just moved back after living in the UK for five years. I have never had a tax number. I am opening a small consulting firm and need a tax number to register my business with SARS. What information should I supply on page 2 of the IT77 form? Any advice on how I could go about getting myself a tax number then registering my business with SARS would be great?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
12 March 2013 at 14:29

Are you trying to register the business and yourself personally as well?

Wes says:
12 March 2013 at 14:34

Well if I have to then yes I will register myself and the business. I am after getting the business registered and my understanding is that I have to have a tax number first?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
12 March 2013 at 15:07

In order to register yourself first follow the guidelines on this link - click here

Are you registering your business as a company or will you be working as a sole prop?

Wes says:
12 March 2013 at 15:11

Ok I understand that. What should I put in the space on page two where it asks about my employer? Do I register as unemployed or should I put the name of my future company?

It will be a sole prop.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
12 March 2013 at 15:29

If you are trading as a sole prop then you wont need to apply for a business tax number as you will be taxed in your own hands on the profit. Under the employer section you can put unemployed for now or leave it blank.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.