How do I convert from a provisional taxpayer to a regular taxpayer?

I have been paying tax as a Provisional Taxpayer to 2004 tax year. I was then permanently overseas and no longer liable for tax in SA. I returned in April 2012 and wish to pay tax as a regular taxpayer. Do I need to re-register or can I give my employer my provisional tax reference no.?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
17 October 2012 at 0:36

Your tax number stays the same, just make sure that it has not been deactivated. This has happened in some cases. You will also need to de-register as a Provisional Taxpayer (this wont affect your tax number) You can do this on eFiling by going to the Home Tab and clicking tax types and de-registering there. This will mean you are only a "regular" taxpayer.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.