Does my wife have to submit a return if we receive rental income?

My wife earns under the threshold even with the rental income, the property is in both our names
Does she have to submit a return or can I alone submit it on my return?
We are married in COP.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
1 July 2013 at 16:49

If your wife earns under the threshold she would not need to submit a tax return, however it may be wise to do so given you are married in community of property and would have to give her name on your return.

Bantu says:
2 July 2013 at 7:57

Hello Tim


2 more things.

I had a tenant last year that did not pay for about 10 months, is this a debt that was incurred?

Do I record it, and the lawyers fees for eviction?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
4 July 2013 at 0:18

You can write off the lawyers fees as it is a cost incurred in legal fees related to income lost or potentially losing. It is not a debt incurred unless you have already declared the income to SARS?

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.