Does married in community of property affect your assesment?

Posted 17 September 2012 under Tax Q&A
I submitted my tax return via efiling. This year i made a mistake by selecting the wrong button by saying i am married out of community of propery. I am married in community of property. SARS send me a notice that i owe them R1029 and at the bottom its said that married out of community of property affected the assesment. What can i do as my details have not changed and previous years i never had to pay SARS. Could it be because of that and what can i do about it?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
4 September 2012 at 21:07

If this was your first submission for the 2012 year, go to your eFiling profile and the page with the return and click, "request correction" and a second return will be available to make the change. File that return like you did the first one and then it should reassess you based on the change you made.

Let me know if that works and makes a difference?

Get FREE Help with your Tax Return today from

TaxTim's award-winning tax return services are now free to all Momentum policyholders and Multiply clients:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →