Do I need to submit a return if I earned under the tax threshold?

Hi, my wife was employed for the 2011/2012 tax period but earning between R3500 - R4500 per month. Does she still need to register and submit a return or not?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
17 November 2012 at 10:48

For thew 2012 tax year the threshold was R59 750 so your wife is under the taxable threshold. Ideally she does not need to file a return. However SARS are on a drive to register all salaried employed people so have your wife check whether her employer has registered her already. If so go ahead and submit the return so everything is always up to date! Rather be compliant than not, but she is not compelled to.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.