Do I have to pay tax on financial support from my family?

Posted 3 January 2013 under Tax Q&A
I am unemployed and trying to survive as a freelance writer, earning very little. My wife is homeschooling our children. We are financially supported by my parents-in-law and my wife's siblings. Who, if anyone, pays tax?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
29 November 2012 at 14:52

It would depend on the amount of financial aid they are providing, if it is under R100 000 from each person then there is no tax as this would be a donation. You do not pay tax on receiving donations and individuals can make donations up to R100 000 per tax year without having to pay Donations Tax.

Garth says:
29 November 2012 at 16:39

Dear Tim,

Thank you for your prompt and precise response. We are so relieved to finally get a clear answer.
You provide a great service.

Thanks again,

TaxTim TaxTim says:
29 November 2012 at 21:31

Only a pleasure, very happy I could help and thanks for the compliments!

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →