Declaring PayPal income

I need help with declaring income from admob.
I've been developing apps and have recently been receiving a good income stream from admob, paid to me via PayPal.
Would it be better to register a company?
Or should I continue receiving the money in a personal capacity?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
11 December 2012 at 22:55

Depending on how much income you receive would determine whether you should register a company or not. Companies are taxed at 28% whereas the highest individual rate is 40%. If you are earning more than about R300 000 taxable income for the year, basically profit then it would make sense to register a company as the lower tax rate could be beneficial to you. However there are administration issues such as company registrations, annual returns, possible audits or independent reviews with running a company so these need to be considered as well.

Shaun says:
12 December 2012 at 7:38

My basic salary is more than R300k. And so far this year I have made more than R7000 with admob.
What would be the best to do regarding this extra income?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
12 December 2012 at 13:20

Comparatively the R7 000 income is a small amount and the hassle of registering and maintaining a company for this amount would lead me to suggest maintaining it in your personal name for now.

TaxTim is FREE for all Momentum & Multiply members.

Use your ID number at the payment step to claim your free TaxTim voucher

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Get started FREE

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.