Could I claim all contributions and additonal medical costs for a dependant parent of 73?

Mavkit says:
23 September 2015 at 12:22

This question is about medical tax credits. I am a 73 year old pensioner. I thought that if I was a dependant on my son's Discovery medical aid, then he could claim form his tax the full contribution for me (being over 65) and also any additional medical costs I incur which are not covered by the medical aid (the full amount). Am I correct?
And I will tell my sons about this terrific service. Thanks

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
23 September 2015 at 17:22

He would only be able to claim the contributions for you and the medical expenses that he paid, but not what you personally paid yourself unfortunately.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.