FAQ Blog Q&A Calculators Students Logbook Contact
Earn under R500,000?Click here to see why you still need to file to get your Tax Refund.

Can I claim medical expenses that I paid, but were for my mother?

Posted 30 July 2012 under Tax Q&A

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →
Last year my mother who is 62, and has retired on medical grounds, had to have open heart surgery which i had to pay for. Unfortunately she is not on my medical aid and i had to solely foot the bill of her surgery and all the other medication that she needed thereafter. Do i need to fill this in as part of my medical expenses when filling tax return for the year ended Feb 2012 as these are medical expenses that i incurred and i am the one who paid for this. I do have all the invoices of the expenses I have paid.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
24 July 2012 at 19:55

Yes you may claim the medical expenses paid for your mother. You would add these to all the expenses you paid for yourself which were not covered by the medical aid and put this next to source code 4020 on the tax return ITR12.

Veronica says:
26 July 2012 at 12:23

Thank you

Get SARS Tax Dates and Deadlines in your Inbox

We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.

Blog Categories