Claim tax on Affinity Health Medical Scheme?

Anthea says:
4 August 2020 at 14:18

I have a hospital plan with Affinity Health Medical scheme. Does that fall under medical insurance or medical aid? Please note that the plan pays for in-hospital expenses only. I already gave them a call and they advised me they cannot provide me with a tax certificate, they are a medical insurance company. So do I still proceed under the medical aid section if I have pathology expenses and prescription medication which I paid for which I want to claim?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
4 August 2020 at 14:26

It should fall under medical aid and then you would only claim your out of pocket medical expenses. You can claim this in the medical aid section on your tax return, by entering it the same as you will a normal medical aid. You can also claim a deduction for doctors visits, pathology expenses, prescription medication and specialist visits, this you can claim in the other out of pocket medical expenses section on your tax return.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.