Claim for disabled person in my tax return?

Posted 23 June 2015 under Tax Q&A
Anco says:
19 May 2015 at 13:28

I have a son who is disabled and want to know what and how I can claim for his medical expenses. He was born with brain damage, nystagmus and epilepsy.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
20 May 2015 at 11:23

Have you completed a ITR-DDR form with SARS?

Anco says:
20 May 2015 at 11:58

Yes, I have all the documents confirming diagnosis and have filled out the forms, but they specify that you should not submit the form unless asked. I just want to know what I can claim for regarding his expenses, and how do I specify it on my return ?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
21 May 2015 at 12:59

You would claim any and all medical expenditure - there is a guide on the SARS website which lists specifics if you are not sure - under the medical section of the return under Disability - put the entire amount spent in there. Medical aid contributions will still go in the medical aid section. You can Register for TaxTim and answer our simple questions and we can do it all for you.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →