Can I pay TAX in South Africa if I earn in Spain?

I have been working for an online company for that is based in Spain while I was abroad in Europe, working in a number of countries. During this time, I was paying TAX in Spain because South African TAX policy says that if you work outside the country for 180 days (estimated) then you don't have to pay. However, I returned to SA and would now like to stop paying Spain TAX because I want to contribute to my own country and also because it is too high. The only thing is that I need a TAX Residence Certificate but no one seems to know about it at the SARS office. I am still working online and earning euros. Please advice on how to go about this?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
22 May 2013 at 11:10

Do you need the Tax residence certificate to give to the Spanish Tax Office?

Larry says:
4 June 2013 at 17:48

Yes, I need the Tax residence certificate for my employers to give to the Spanish Tax Office in order for them to comply with regulations.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
5 June 2013 at 23:47

You would need to download a CRA001 from,za and submit this to SARS in order to obtain a residency certificate.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.