Battling to get 2008 IRP5 certificate from ex-employer.

Anxious says:
22 September 2015 at 7:41

I am battling to get my IRP5 certificate for 2008 from an ex-employer and SARS is asking for it. At the time I did not submit the tax return because I recall that in that particular year if you earned under a certain annual income, you did not have to submit and therefore I did not. How can I remedy the situation? I have called SARS SARS eFiling help desk and we tried to see if the information would populate on SARS eFiling but it did not.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
22 September 2015 at 12:45

You will need to go to a police station and swear an affidavit stating reasons why you are unable to obtain you IRP5.

You can then take this affidavit to SARS together with payslips or bank statements you may have which reflect your earnings for this year.

Anxious says:
22 September 2015 at 14:19

Thank you for responding. I do not have any payslips since it is more than 7 years ago and I only keep documents for just over 5 years. I have also changed banks in 2010 so I do not have access to any bank statements from that time. Can I still do an affidavit?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
22 September 2015 at 14:45

Yes, you can - you could include these details on the affidavit. (i.e reasons why you do not have payslips or bank statements)

Anxious says:
23 September 2015 at 7:01

Thank you so much. It really is a great relief to have TaxTim around. If you were not around, we would be sitting here wondering what next to do and be totally "anxious".

Thank you again!

TaxTim TaxTim says:
23 September 2015 at 22:43

Only a pleasure !

Anxious says:
1 October 2015 at 11:44

Hello, me again. I've submitted 2 affidavits to SARS (as I discovered that my 2009 tax return also wasn't submitted by my ex-employer). They have advised that it will take about 30 working days before I can expect an assessment letter because they have to manually complete both 2008 and 2009 tax returns on my behalf. I however have not submitted my medical aid tax certificate for 2008 to them and don't know how to do it. Is there somewhere on eFiling I can do this after submitting the affidavits to each tax return?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
1 October 2015 at 11:49

You could call the SARS Helpdesk on 0800 007 277, explain the situation and request them to open a link for you on SARS eFiling to upload supporting documents for 2008.

Anxious says:
1 October 2015 at 13:22

Thank you. Much appreciated!

TaxTim TaxTim says:
1 October 2015 at 15:15

Only a pleasure - good luck!

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.