Do your Tax with TaxTim and WIN R10,000  More info   T&C's apply

Are bond initiation fees, legal fees and valuation fees deductible for tax?

Paul says:
23 March 2016 at 8:57

Hi, I have registered as a provisional tax payer and did my tax return in August. My rental expenses (levies, interest and taxes) are greater than my rental income I earn. Do I still need to file the provisional tax payer tax return now and see if any payments are due?

I have paid for your services for my personal income tax, but haven't received any of my tax information yet (for investments, medical aid etc). Must I just wait until those all come later in the year and send them through as and when they come?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
23 March 2016 at 10:14

If you had the result of less than R30 000 as taxable income - ie profit then you do not need to file a provisional tax return, however if this loss is just a once off and you usually make a profit then it is best to continue filing a provisional tax return.

Filing season only opens on 1 July, but you can begin the tax return as soon as documents do come in to be ready for the opening of tax season.

Paul says:
23 March 2016 at 13:24

Hi, I have calculated a loss in the current year for my investment property by calculating:


Bond repayments
Valuation fees
Agent fees
Bond registration costs
Legal fees

Is this correct and can this loss be carried forward to offset future profits?
Should I complete a provisional tax return? I did register and do one in August for period 01

TaxTim TaxTim says:
23 March 2016 at 14:37

Bond repayments are not deductible, only the interest on the bond.

Bond initiation fee R 5 700.00
Legal fees R 7 259.00
Valuation fees R 2 793.00
Bond repayments R 65 057.26
Interest on Bond R 55 240.71

The legal, valuation and initiation fees go towards your capital gain when you sell the premises. The bond repayments excluding interest are not deductible. Therefore your loss is a lot smaller, however it would be best to file the IRP6 anyway.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.