Senior PHP developer
We're making tax easy with clever code. Up for the challenge?
What is TaxTim?
TaxTim is a friendly, all-digital tax robot, making tax easy for millions of South Africans. Operating much like a simple WhatsApp chat, TaxTim contains the brains of several tax experts rolled into one, and helps people to do their own tax returns quickly, easily and with confidence.
What we're proud of:
Perks of the job:
- Started in 2011 with seed funding from Google
- Integrated with SARS eFiling
- Have helped over 7 million South Africans to date
- Partnerships with Momentum, Sanlam, Old Mutual and PwC
- Expanded into Namibia and Nigeria
Cool projects in 2020:
- Flexitime / work from home, as you wish
- Create miracles that people love you for by Making Tax Easy
- Flat company structure - you own projects and schedule your own time
- Rock up in shorts, slops and take over the couch / Vetsak
- Work in beautiful Cape Town, next to a new coffee machine, across from a bakery
- Small team of 9 = great start-up experience and anti-big corporate feel
- Financial assistance with moving to Cape Town
- Moving our Puppeteer crawlers into Node on Serverless AWS Lambda and SQS
- Migrating our PHP codebase into Symfony OOP
- Separating our frontend and backend with Vue / React
- Integration of our product with one of SA's leading banks
- Integrating our Small Business product with eFiling and Xero
- Strong knowledge of PHP (3+ years practical OOP experience, Wordpress doesn't count)
- Strong knowledge of MySQL (3+ years practical experience)
- PHP MVC framework experience (1+ year practical experience using Symfony, or Laravel works too)
- Competent with source control (1+ year practical experience using Git)
- Comfortable working in a Linux environment (we like Ubuntu)
- A creative problem solver, that's willing to explore, with a collaborative, open source type mindset
- Good time management
- Fluent in English (written and verbal)
Keen to apply? Please take a digital interview with TaxTim at this link.
- Design, develop and maintain both internal and client-facing functionality, from inception through to deployment, full life cycle
- Write clean, efficient and reusable code, utilizing best practices such as SOLID, DRY and KISS
- Monitor, test, improve and upgrade existing functionality
- Assist with refactoring legacy code into a new Symfony based system
- Assist with maintaining and improving an AWS based production environment
- Create and consume APIs (both REST and SOAP)
- Work closely with our CTO Evan and dev team (John, Jerry, Ettienne and new recruits)
We're excited to meet you!
for more information.
← Back to all jobs