You should have got an sms or email saying an IT34 was issued? If you have not received this then check to see whether or not you filed correctly or if you were required to submit supporting documentation. How long has it been since you submitted?
Dina Harpersays: 24 August 2012 at 13:29
I filed my return earlier today, received the assessment but was asked for supporting documents. I phoned Sars who advised they need my IRP5 and logbook. These I uploaded via the efiler system with 30 min of their request and it is noted that the documents have been submitted to Sars.
My questions are :
1) Is a review like an audit? Or is it an actual audit?
2) At the end of 2010 I bought my new car, which is used for business and private and kept my old car but gave it to my mom to use. I haven't driven my other car since the day I got my new one.
Could it be that I am being reviewed for not adding the old car into this year's return? I did have both cars on last year's (end Feb 2011) return but then I did drive both of them in that year. Car no 1 - March - Dec. Car no 2 Dec - to now. Does this make sense? Should I have added car no 1 even though I don't even drive it but it is on my name?
3) Is it going to take up to 3 months for them to get back to me?
Thanks - Dina
TaxTimsays: 25 August 2012 at 12:36
Thanks for the great questions, our readers really appreciate any new questions as a lot of them face similar problems!
To answer your questions:
1. It isn't an actual audit, but more of a review of the current year. Taxpayers are usually "audited" either because they have been chosen randomly by the SARS system or some information that was provided doesn't match up to what SARS has on file, or just because there is information which can be seen to be need more support. It does appear this year that SARS is requesting more an more information from taxpayers and is being very strict. A real audit would be them opening up your files and going through all your records for the last few years and requesting every single statement, invoice etc...
2. If you didn't use both cars for travel purposes for work then you mustn't put them both. So if you only drove the new car during the 2012 tax year then you will only need to show that one. The SARS system may have picked up on this difference and then automatically requested an "audit" You don't need to disclose any vehicle that you aren't using for work purposes.
3. SARS is allowed to take up 90 days in a lot of cases, but have been quicker this year. Unfortunately it is a waiting game and depends on how many people are working in their audit department taking up the cases. I wish I had a better answer for you on this.
Please let me know if you need any more information or advice?
Get SARS Tax Dates and Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.