Earn under R350,000? Click here to see why you still need to file to get your Tax Refund.
Need Help with your 2016 Tax Return?

Get your tax return DONE in 10 minutes or less with TaxTim!

Try TaxTim Now

Try Tim Now

SA non-resident with rental property in SA what are the tax implications?

Posted 31 January 2014 under Tax Questions

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →
I used to live and work in SA but then moved to the UK 8 years ago. Since then I have and still am working full time in the UK for a UK employer paying UK PAYE and now have UK citizenship.

For the last 4 years I have been sending money back to my SA bank account and used that money to purchase a rental property in SA.

As an example using dummy numbers for simplicity:
Purchase price: R100k
Deposit: R50k
Bond: R50k

Rental Income: R20k p.a.
Less bond: R10k p.a.
Less levy: R2k p.a.
Less agent fee: R2k p.a.
Less rates: R2k p.a.
Net Income: R4k p.a.

Question 1: Are there any tax implications of me sending money from the UK to my SA bank account?
Question 2: Are all of the expenses I listed above deductible and if so, do I need to complete a tax return
as the R4k is less than the R64k that is non taxable per year?

This entry was posted in Tax Questions and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTimTaxTim says:
3 February 2014 at 5:59

If your net income is less than the threshold then no you will not need to complete a return as there is no tax to pay. However for completeness it is often best to submit a return, even if it results in no tax.

All those deductions are allowed except for the full bond, only the interest is allowable as a deduction, not the mortgage part of the bond.

Get Tax Deadline Reminders, News and Tips

We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →