Earn under R350,000? Click here to see why you still need to file to get your Tax Refund.
Need Help with your 2016 Tax Return?

Get your tax return DONE in 10 minutes or less with TaxTim!

Learn More

Try Tim Now

Registering as a freelance tax payer

Posted 20 October 2015 under Tax Questions

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →
Killer_Cookies says:
20 October 2015 at 14:56

Hi there, I have been working from home for a couple of months now for a company I used to work in-house full time for. Better explained - I now work on a freelance basis for the same company but I get a weekly salary, the same each week and its on-going. I had the understanding that my tax was being deducted off my salary, that the company was taking care of this. I recently realised that this is not the case and I should have registered as a freelance practitioner and taken care of my own tax. I don't earn a massive sum of money and should not be in debt to SARS too heavily but how do I go about registering with SARS now? Also how does tax get deducted from a 'freelance' person? For example next month I may do more or less work for this company and the weekly amount may change. Also over the festive season I don't get paid.

This entry was posted in Tax Questions and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTimTaxTim says:
20 October 2015 at 20:32

You need to register as a provisional tax payer and pay tax 2-3 times per year.
Please read our blog on Provisional Tax
It sounds like you will need to pay your provisional tax in February for the year 1 March 2015-28 February 2016.

Please Register for TaxTim and let us assist you to complete your Provisional Tax Returns.

Get SARS Tax Dates and Deadlines in your Inbox

We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →