Earn under R350,000? Click here to see why you still need to file to get your Tax Refund.
Get Your Tax Done in 20 Minutes

  File Your Return with Confidence
  Quick. Easy. Correct!
  First time users SAVE 15%!

Click here

Try Tim Now

Private practice queries

Posted 10 September 2013 under Tax Questions

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →
I've started my own private practice
I was employed before that and was a registered "normal" tax payer and did my e-filing chop chop easy. I'd like to continue doing my own e-filing:

Do I have to register now as a different tax payer now that I'm working for myself?
And must I complete the form where it asks for my own income and will it automatically update then and ask if I had other expenses?

And what all can I keep as "business" expenses? (I rent an office and pay a receptionist as well)
Are there a difference in % tax payed by 'n "normal" tax payer and a "provisional" tax payer?
Is 14% of my total income enough to save up for all my income to cover SARS returns in a years time?
I travel to Gautrain station with my car and travel with train to work as I have business in Centurion and Joburg. Can I claim the train trips and parking as a business expense?

This entry was posted in Tax Questions and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTimTaxTim says:
10 September 2013 at 20:31

You would be able to claim any business expenses that is related to earning the income earned, but keep accurate records and make sure they are directly related to the income earned. You would need to register as a provisional taxpayer now and depending on your income level you can withhold the appropriate percentage. These useful links might be of assistance:

Am I a Provisional taxpayer?What is Provisional Tax? How and when?SARS tax rates 2014

Get Tax Deadline Reminders, News and Tips

We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →