Earn under R350,000? Click here to see why you still need to file to get your Tax Refund.
File your Tax Return online with TaxTim

  Tax Done in 20 Mins or Less
  Maximise your Refund and find new Deductions
  Simple and Easy. No more SARS stress

Start now

Try Tim Now

PAYE deduction differs from tax tables

Posted 28 July 2015 under Tax Questions

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →
Andre says:
26 June 2015 at 11:27

Hi, I have been looking at my PAYE Deductions from my employer and comparing them to the published PAYE Tables from SARS for each relevant year. I even tried to use your tax calculator which also gave the me the SARS Taxtable PAYE deduction amount. I have noticed that in the Payslips we get generated from Pastel Payroll, the PAYE deductions are roughly R150-R220 higher than the same Taxable salary deduction amount according to the SARS Tax table. I know 150 odd Rand doesn't seem like much but over a period of 5 years this works out to be significant. Is there any explanation for this? Payroll is always updated with the latest Tax tables, so I don't understand where payroll is getting its PAYE amount from. Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and regards.

This entry was posted in Tax Questions and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTimTaxTim says:
26 June 2015 at 13:41

That is strange and we have heard these issues before. Do you ever receive a refund from SARS when you file?

Andre says:
30 June 2015 at 9:17

Hi Tax Tim,

Thanks for getting back to me.
I had to pay in small amounts to SARS and not actually get any refunds I got R500 odd only this last season, but have been very unhappy with my current tax consultant so have moved to another one, I'm hoping they are able to sort out this mess.
If he finds that I have overpaid SARS on previous occasions I cant claim back from them for previous years? Am I correct in saying that you cant dispute previous tax years?

Thanks and regards,


TaxTimTaxTim says:
30 June 2015 at 10:26

You can dispute previous years by requesting corrections if you find that amounts have been overpaid and SARS would have to refund you.

If you get stuck then lets us help you sort things out. Register for TaxTim

Get SARS Tax Dates and Deadlines in your Inbox

We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →